Over the last few weeks I had some how managed to convince my boyfriend to watch every episode of Sex and the City from start to finish. That way when we watch the movies together he understand it (chuckles). As we watched the seasons together, and bicker about Aidan vs Big, I realised just how far Carrie Bradshaw’s fashion evolved from Season One to the Finale Episode and how extravagant it become in the SATC movies. Her casual lounge wear to her vintage Dior and Chanel always took on a twist of her quirky clothing combinations and infinite love for fashion. And might I add her obsession with PVC circa 90’s mules and strappy sandals! One of the most stylish female leads ever to be on television, Carrie Bradshaw single handily changed the face of high end brands and made quite a few items in her closet world famous. *cough* Manolo Something Blue *cough*
Now, I’m all about the extravagant and eccentric looks but there are quite a few outfits through out the beginning of SATC that I love. Her unique combinations weren’t always over the top high end label shouting but just in general stylish and fun. I think a lot of women today look at Carrie and only see “labels” and expensive clothing. There was a time when Miss Bradshaw would wear David Bowie t-shirts and lounge pants not only while she wrote her articles but even a night out on the town.
There aren’t enough ways to describe Carrie Bradshaw’s impeccable, risk-taking flair. So here are a few of my favourite Carrie outfits, from casual to high end, through out the Seasons. What would Carrie wear if she had to pick from the designers and clothing that are featured online for SS15? I decided to take the time and be creative and recreated her looks with Spring/Summer 2015 clothing only! Some turned out to be very difficult to recreate with limited options from the latest collections but I managed to put together a few looks that I believe are accustom to Carries personality and style.
Famous Fur Coat – Look One
– faithful to her coat since day one, she kept it through out the seasons and wore it on the finale episode.
Famous Fur Coat – Look Two
– her classy baseball ensemble. Fur, floral dress and aviators.
Liska, belted fur coat – £4,182.53
Gucci, floral knight-print silk-cady dress – $2,715
Charlotte Olympia, winona fringed suede wedge sandals – $1,295
Michael Kors, miranda large leather-trimmed python bucket bag – $1,295
Victoria Beckham, aviator-style metal sunglasses – $550
– a politicians girlfriend must present her self like Jackie Kennedy would. Neutral, tasteful and fabulous.
Tomas Maier, safari cotton shirtdress – $945
Givenchy, beige medium waxy pandora bag – $3,140
Jimmy Choo, avril embossed metallic leather pumps – $695
Kenzo, cyclops tiger bracelet – $195
Barton Perreira, renaissance sunglasses – $430
– you never know who you might run into at the Opera. This outfit was exceptionally difficult to re construct as the dress Carrie is wearing is impossible to duplicate, but I believe I’ve come up with an outfit with enough fringe and feathers for Carries taste (and look smokin for when she runs into Big).
Tamara Mellon, fringed woven and crepe dress – $1,695
Simone Rocha, black satin feather trimmed wristlet clutch – $645
Christian Louboutin, riri 100mm suede pumps – $965
Kenneth Jay Lane, rhodium plated cubic zirconia earrings – $70
– one of my favourite casual looks during the beginning of SATC, Carries grunge days. Classic tee paired with tartan and jazzed up with some heels, you can’t go wrong.
– her love for nude heels and Fendi.
– another lounge look I enjoy and I thought Carrie seems like a Stella knickers of the week kind of gal, paired with a classic rock tee no girl can go wrong with that.
Dusty Pink Turtleneck
– something all women should have in their closet, a casual turtleneck. Picked to cater to a pair of heels I know Carrie would love since they feature one of her favourite materials, PVC!
Dondup, turtleneck – $121
Isabel Marant, andy embroidered-silk mini skirt – $585
Christian Louboutin, sweet charity painted python shoulder bag – $2,995
Gianvito Rossi, embellished satin and PVC slingbacks -$1,610
They Were After Manolos
– the bag Carrie made famous, sorry not bag, Baguette! Also, you know your dedicated to your fashion when your willing to argue for your favourite pair of strappy sandals then your own life.
Dolce & Gabbana Undies
– another outfit very hard to create with this seasons spring summer collections, Dolce & Gabbana runway attire for Miss Carrie Bradshaw. I decided to be creative and not pick anything from D&G SS15 collection as that seemed to easy.
Dolce & Gabbana Dress
– and how could anyone possibly find a floral dress similar to D&G in this seasons collections. So I thought I would put my own twist on a look and pick a floor length dress exceptional enough for Carrie paired with strappy sandals with of course PVC details.
– no one can combine colours together like Miss Bradshaw. Another tricky outfit to re create but with the perfect heels Carrie can pull off anything.
Carine Gilson, sonia lace-trimmed silk-saton camisole – $825
Cédric Charlier, two-tone pleated crepe midi skirt – $1,295
Max Mara Studio, ninetta coat – $615
Gianvito Rossi, python and PVC pumps – $950
Charlotte What is on Your Feet
– shoe fetish anyone?
– when trying to up show your exs new girlfriend, when in doubt buy Manolos. In the episode she wears the shoes with a stunning red dress to an event Natasha was to appear at as well.
Valentino, 1973 chevron stripe coat – £3,215
Balmain, draped jersey-crepe mini dress – $2,430
Ernesto Esposito, limit edition110m sandals – $392
Larkspur & Hawk, bella double drop rose gold-dipped quartz necklace – $650
Put a Belt on It
– how can anyone pull of this outfit other then Carrie. Nothing quite like her palm leaf print skirt and knitted clutch attired with a belt around her waist. If your looking for an outfit much more on point with hers I suggest a button up dress shirt cropped and tucked under your bra and to browse a local charity/vintage shop for a printed skirt and knitted clutch.
Miu Miu, metallic stretch-knit soft-cup triangle bra top – $380
MSGM, palm-print brocade skirt – $540
Kristina Ti, belt – $109
Burberry Shoes, leather wedge sandals – $675
Alexander McQueen, de manta clutch – £495
Your Girl is Lovely Hubbell
– oh Hubbell, a girl like Carrie can’t be tamed. One of my favourite classy Carrie outfits of course paired with her reappearing PVC heels.
– she will not be seen anywhere with out her heels.
I Heart NY
– silk, lace, feathers and pleats. Nothing is to much for Carrie.
Lover, heather lace halter neck dress – $695
Isabel Marant, jeanne plissé-leather waist belt – $1,570
Peter Pilotto, oversized printed silk twill coat $2,286
Vivienne Westwood, satin bow detail sandals – £368.82
Roberto Cavalli, dea ostrich feathers & silk clutch – $3,058
-she will not have anyone talking shit about her boyfriend.
Marc Jacobs, sequined tulle mini dress – $4,800
Gareth Pugh, oversized cotton faille coat – $1,747
Alexander McQueen, de manta studded clutch – £945
Christian Louboutin, so kate 120 python pumps – $1,495
By Boe, heart necklace – £59
– nothing quite like her metallic fringe top.
Chloé, crocheted lace bandeau top – $1,450
Diane Von Furstenberg, joan trousers – $400
Casadei, strappy and transparent sandals – £507.98
Diane von Furstenberg, 440 envelope metallic leather clutch – $220
– and last but not least, her outfit to Samanthas kink party which she also wore with a top hat and was equipped with a whip.
Donna Karan New York, cropped cutout stretch-organza top – $895
Monique Lhuillier, front pleat evening skirt – £2,538.21
Diane von Furstenberg, ulla leather sandals – $325
Alexander McQueen, silve-tone Swarovski crystal cuff – $395